Awards & RecipientsSoldiers, who have performed outstanding deeds of bravery and selfless sacrifice, are awarded the bravery medals, Param Vir Chakra, Vir Chakra and Maha Vir Chakra. Children are also honoured with National Bravery Awards for the highest degree of valour and selfless sacrifice.
National awards for bravery were started in 1957 by the Indian Council for Child Welfare (ICCW) (External website that opens in a new window). Every year the ICCW confers these awards to children between 6 to 18 years of age.
Awardees (Republic Day, 2014)
- Padma Awards
- Correctional Services Medal
- President's Police Medal for Distinguished Service
- Police Medals for Gallantry
- Police Medal for Meritorious Service
- Force Wise/State Wise Medal Awardees
- National Bravery Awards
- Jeevan Raksha Padak Awards
- Defence decorations to Armed Forces
- Year wise list of recipients (1954-2013)
- Source: http://india.gov.in